Back to Wellness Resources
The Wellness library contains examples of educational workshops, posters and research projects on themes related to well-being that the Office of Resident Wellness has produced over the last few years. We have included a list of recommended readings for anyone interested in this area of medical education.
This article collection features popular FPM content on the subject of life balance – from finding joy in your work to blending work and family. Topic links range from compassion fatigue, running on empty, and 15 tips for managing life at work and home to the 80/20 rule of time management, 6 ways to make play a priority, and ideas for managing stress and extinguishing burnout.
Career Oriented Resources
- Balagot M, Ingebretsen M, Fraker S, eds. Leaving the Bedside: The Search for a Nonclinical Medical Career. Revised ed. AMA: American Medical Association Press; 1996
- Berhow, Melissa T. ,Feaster, William W. , Brock-Utne, MD, PhD, FFA(SA), John G. Life After Residency
- A Career Planning Guide. New York: Springer; 2009.
- Hirsch G, Scott M. Strategic Career Management for the 21st Century Physician. 1st ed. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association Press; 2000.
- Lieff, SJ. The missing link in academic career planning and development: Pursuit of meaningful and aligned work. Academic Medicine. 2009;84(10):1383-1387.
- Schwartz, T. Manage your energy, not your time. Harvard Business Review. 2007;85(10):63-73.
- Scott M. Planning for a Successful Career Transition: The Physician’s Guide to Managing Career Change. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association Press; 1999.
- Shanafelt T, Chung H, White H, Lyckholm LJ. Shaping your career to maximize personal satisfaction in the practice of oncology. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24(24):4020-4026.
- Starr C. Thinking about leaving medicine? Medical Economics. 2001;20:(5):42-51.