Hold’em for Life Oncology Fellowship
Hold’em for Life Charity Challenge has made a generous and transformative commitment to oncology research and education at the University of Toronto’s Temerty Faculty of Medicine and our partner hospitals.
The Hold’em for Life Oncology Fellowships are open to University of Toronto residents and clinical fellows pursuing cancer research, at any of the Faculty’s nine fully affiliated teaching hospitals. A multidisciplinary U of T committee will annually review and rate all proposals.
- Applications will be considered for funding from July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2024
(The Fellowship Review Committee will consider applications with an alternate start date within the academic year)
- Eligible candidates must fulfill the following criteria:
- Be a medical doctor licensed to practice in Ontario
- Commit to spending at least 2 years in residency or clinical fellowship training, during which at least 1 year has a minimum of 80% protected time committed to research
- Have $50,000 in matching funds confirmed by their Principal Investigator/Supervisor
- Be registered with the University of Toronto Post MD Program as a resident or clinical fellow
- Have a Supervisor with a faculty appointment at the University of Toronto’s Temerty Faculty of Medicine
- Projects must be in the field of oncology. Applicants can apply from any University of Toronto clinical department or related clinical discipline (including but not limited to: medical oncology, radiation oncology, surgical oncology, psychosocial oncology, medical imaging, pathology etc.)
- Funding from Hold’em Fellowship must be applied to trainee salary only. Matching funds can be applied to salary, research, or tuition.
Renewal proposals will be considered for current Hold’em for Life Oncology Fellows with the support of the supervisor. For these applications, please only submit a one-page summary that confirms other eligibility criteria is met (including matching funds for the additional funding period), a progress update and describe how an additional year of funding will be applied.
Key dates for 2022 Competition:
Download the application form.
Application opens: July 2022
Application deadline: October 7, 2022 (11:59pm EST) Late applications will not be considered.
Notification of committee review and outcome: by February 2023
Funding begins: July 1, 2023 (or at another date within the academic year, based on application and per committee approval)