Welcome to the University of Toronto Temerty Faculty of Medicine. As Associate Dean of Postgraduate Medical Education, I am responsible for the 78 residency programs and 13 Areas of Focused Competence (Diploma) programs accredited by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or the College of Family Physicians of Canada. The Faculty’s expert clinicians are dedicated educators and researchers offering a diverse clinical experience in our 31 affiliated health care institutions and hundreds of other teaching practices across the province. Collectively we commit to providing you with the highest standard of postgraduate training and the flexibility to take advantage of all that a U of T residency or fellowship can offer.
Here are just a few highlights of our recent PGME initiatives and activities:
- The Best Practices on Admission and Selection (BPAS) report was produced and is now used nationally by programs to re-organize their selection procedures.
- The Global Health Education Initiative offers a two-year certificate program to residents to learn how expressions of health and illness are impacted by underlying determinants, critical to solving the most challenging health problems affecting individuals and communities in the city and around the globe.
- The migration to a Competency Based Education model is well underway. We are actively engaged with the CFPC, the RCPSC and our specialty programs to transform residency training structures and processes to focus on clinical milestones and evidence-based assessment. We have an experienced and dedicated team supporting our programs in this important work, and are committed to a thoughtful and systematic transition
- The Office of Learners Affairs (OLA) supports learners in both their professional and personal growth. OLA provides learners with access to a variety of supports including personal counselling, career advising and a pathway for managing learner mistreatment.
- The multi-entry Clinician Investigator Program (CIP) led by Dr. Nicola Jones has expanded their resources to include on-line resources in research methodology, grant proposals, and presentations.
- We are working with the Ontario Ministry of Health to both improve the allocation process for residency positions to match future workforce needs and explore strategies to ensure that every qualified student has access to the right residency position.
- The PGME 2018-23 Strategic Plan reflects our mission to invest in priorities with our health care partners to support the Faculty of Medicine’s three key priorities: Imagination, Collaboration and Equity.
- PGME has launched a Mentorship Program for New Program Directors of Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada accredited programs that is led by Dr. Jennifer Croke.
Meredith Giuliani MBBS, MEd, PhD, FRCPC, DRCPSC
Associate Dean, Postgraduate Medical Education &
Associate Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology